“I needed to edit dvr-ms files, which I could not open with any professional software. It was from a Canon HDV camcorder / ingested into a PC via some standard Windows software. The software which helped me to at least trim the videos and save them in original HDV mpeg2 with an .mpg container was Video Redo, which I had to use in virtual Windows. I would appreciate if the software would be able just to rewrap the dvr-ms (and other) files into another Final Cut Pro friendly container. It would be good if there is a Mac oriented app available…”
Part 1. What are DVR-MS files?
DVR-MS (Microsoft Digital Video Recording) is a proprietary video and audio file container format, developed by Microsoft used for storing TV content recorded by Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Video is encoded using the MPEG-2 standard and audio using MPEG-1 Layer II or Dolby Digital AC-3 (ATSC A/52). The format extends these standards by including metadata about the content and digital rights management. Multiple data streams (audio and video) are wrapped in an ASF container with the extension DVR-MS.
Part 2. How to play DVR-MS files on Final Cut Pro?
As far as I know, the format is by no means intended for editing in Final Cut Pro. In order to work with DVR-MS videos in FCP, you must convert the DVR-MS files to FCP support format, like ProRes 422 or LT etc.
The tool we need is DVR-MS Converter for Mac. This is an excellent piece of software for users to convert DVR-MS video as well as various popular video formats (AVI, FLV, AVI, MKV, VOB, TS, etc) to Apple ProRes 422 .mov and iOS optimized MP4 videos. Thus, you can play the DVR-MS in many devices like iPod, iPad, iPhone, PSP, PS3 and so on. With it, you can convert DVR-MS files to FCP for Mac with fastest conveting speed, best output quality and excellent A/V sync and so on.
What’s more, the DVR-MS to FCP Converter provides customers with several simple editing functions, including cropping, trimming, deinterlacing, watermarking, adding special effects, and audio replacing, which help you do a fast and necessary editing on your footage before importing them to Final Cut Pro 6/7/X.
Just in few steps, the conversion will be finished. All the functions make conversion more easily. The software is compatible with OS X 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5. PC users may get its Windows version. Follow the guide below to convert DVR-MS to Apple ProRes MOV easily by using this DVR-MS Converter for Mac.
Step-by-step guide: Convert DVR-MS to Final Cut Pro preferred Apple ProRes video
1. Run the DVR-MS to FCP Converter for Mac. Drag and drop DVR-MS video to the converter.
2. Press the “Format” bar and choose the format which you want to convert, you can select “Final Cut Pro” > “Apple Prores 422(.mov)” as output format.
3. You can control output video quality by setting resolution, bitrate and frame rate in “Settings”. For preserving 5.1 channels surround sound, set audio channels to “5.1 channels” instead of Stereo.
4. Click on the “Convert” button to start converting DVR-MS files to ProRes 422 MOV format.
When conversion is completed, you can easily and fast get the Apple ProRes files from its default output folder.
5. After conversion, you can edit the converted videos with FCP on Mac instantly.
More features of DVR-MS Converter for Mac
1. By ticking off the checkbox before “Merge into one file” option, you can combine all the checked videos into one file.
2. If you want, you can also convert DVR-MS files to MP4 on mac, convert DVR-MS to MPG on mac, convert DVR-MS to AVI on mac, convert DVR-MS to WMV on mac, convert DVR-MS to FLV for uploading, import DVR-MS to iMovie, import DVR-MS to FCE, import DVR-MS to Avid, etc. for palying on your portable equipments or editing on your Mac editing software.